Monday, April 15, 2013

Contracts and Moving Forward

My goodness! I've received my first contract. It is for a novella I've written as part of a series 'Tales of the Scrimshaw Doll' for The Wild Rose Press. The title is "Dianne's Destiny".  Receiving that contract in my e-mail thrilled me like few things ever have. I wonder if others have felt that excitement that makes the heart beat faster, smiles and laughter to erupt unbidden followed by the feeling that this just can't be true. But, it is. I feel better able to write more, to finish the works I have in progress.

"Dianne's Destiny" began as "Hearts and Horses". Much of the book takes place in an arena for equestrian therapy. The names of the main characters had to be changed because they were too close to another book in the series.

I'm learning to write an author bio. Choose a graphic artist from the talented group at The Wild Rose Press. The beginnings of successful marketing and social media. It is all confusing but I have a wonderful editor, Ally Robertson and friends who are successful authors. And, next year I will be able to attend the TWRP writer's retreat at the Silver Spur Ranch in Bandera, TX.

Visit www.thewildrosepress.com for a full list of the novellas waiting to be purchased and read. Learn about the scrimshaw doll that carries a curse only broken by true love. I've read them all and think one of the best thing readers will find is that each book is a stand alone story. The voices of each author is clear. The talent is astounding.

The Scrimshaw Doll authors are part of the Oklahoma Romance Writers of America www.OKRWA.com We call ourselves Wild Okies. The books available in the series include:
"Trail of Hope' by Heidi Vanlandingham
"The Bone Bride" by Tamrie Foxtail
"Skinbound' by Anna Kittrell
"Thicker than Water" by Alicia Dean
"Tessa's Treasures" by Callie Hutton
"The Color of Betrayal" by Kathy L. Wheeler
"Pirate's Proposal" by Diana Layne and
"Home" by Calisa Rhose

Share with me and my followers how you felt when you received your first contract? If you are self-published how did you feel when you saw that first cover? Share your experiences. I would love to start a thread on my blog about the feelings, fears, and faith involved in writing. In the meantime, keep writing . . .

11 comments:

Sandy L. Rowland said...

Congratulations on the contract!
I love to hear about success.
Best success on your latest book and on your career. Those Okie girls won't be beat!

Julie Robinson said...

Being unpubbed, I don't have any advice on contracts. But LOVE the picture on your site. Congrats!

Julie Robinson said...

I meant no suggestions for your blog---it's beautifully done.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Winona! LOVE your blog! Congratulations on the contract and so much more!

My experience with publishing, I think, was similar to other authors—a lot of struggling through the years, getting critique buddies, going to classes, reading, reading, reading, and the whole while writing everyday as much as I could. For the last couple years I’ve gotten nibbles from editors and agents, but nothing really took. This last summer, in June, my brother passed away unexpectedly. My mother already had problems with her heart and she had a heart attack shortly after my brother died. She held out as long as she could to be with us, but two months after my brother died, my mother passed away too. It was two days after my mother’s death that I got an email from a publisher, saying he wanted to publish my story. It was probably the most bitter sweet moment in my life, because the two people who had supported me the most . . . I couldn’t tell them that I was finally getting published. There were a few bumps after that, but the first time I saw Amazon displaying my book for sale was almost as wonderful as holding my son the day he was born. And then getting amazing reviews . . . forget about it! I’ve been a bawling baby since then.

I wish you the best of luck and so much success that you’ll feel like a million bucks everyday! Again, congratulations, Winona!

Anonymous said...

I'd set my sights on a print contract with a NY pubisher. So when I got the offer for an ebook with Kensington, I was a little hesitant. But then I thought, it is Kensington, and the editor did say that if my books did well they'd offer me a print contract, so I accepted. It wasn't until then that I was over the moon. Call it a delayed reaction.

Susan Macatee said...

Congrats on your new contract, Winona!

Back in 2007, I submitted a short story to The Wild Rose Press that had been rejected by a magazine because they could no longer accept submissions. Needless to say I was thrilled with the first contact and went on to submit a time travel romance that I'd been shopping around for years, with nothing to show but rejections. That second contract for a full-length novel was even better than the first. And you never get over the thrill of getting another book contract.

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

Short of holding your newborn child, there's nothing like getting that first book contract - or second, or third...don't think the excitement ever dims. At least it hasn't for me!

Congratulations again!
PamT

Unknown said...

I am so excited for you, Nona. Couldn't happen to a sweeter person. The night I got mine I was meeting with some writing friends. I fear I monopolized the conversation. Wish we could bottle that feeling. It's empowering.

Alexa said...

COngratulations again on your contract! I cried when I read my 1st contract and then I called my mom. :)

Diana Layne said...

Congratulations! I'm so excited for you!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I just saw this and gave a squeal of joy for you!

Christi Corbett