Saturday, November 11, 2017

What Veteran's Day Means to Me

Good Morning Friends!

Fall is underway and we are rushing into the holiday season. Christmas decorations have been out in stores across America alongside Halloween and Thanksgiving decor. Like many of you, I look forward to the Holidays but, today, I'd like to call your attention to what this day truly represents: Veteran’s Day
 
Veteran’s Day has always been special to me. My family never failed to stress the importance and honor of living in and serving America. Plus, there was always a parade with marching bands, horses tacked out in the best and most ornate saddles and bridles, and candy. I proudly stood tall with my hand over my heart when the Honor Guard passed. The men removed their hats, some saluted. Many women allowed tears to course down their cheeks.


I knew my father and uncles had served. We had brave, uniformed images of Soldiers and Sailors in the family albums.

Then, came Vietnam. I watched as friends were drafted and served proudly and with honor because they loved the United States of America. Some have their names etched on that long black wall in Washington, D.C.


My husband served in the Navy. Our son retired from the Navy. I was and remain a proud Navy wife and mother.


I hope readers take a moment to consider those who serve our country.


I have included a short story I wrote titled, “Family Legacy” which won Honorable Mention in the short-short category at the 2017 OWFI Conference. The story is about a father’s grief after losing his son. I hope you enjoy the story and the sentiment of it.....




Sam unlocked the door and held the screen to prevent the tell-tale squeak from waking his wife. He dropped into the paint-chipped porch glider to pull on his boots before going for a walk. Any other day the chill in the air, the sounds of birds, and the sweet scent of honeysuckle and roses would have energized him. The past week hadn’t been ordinary, life would never again be the same. Read the entire story HERE.

Hope you enjoyed today's post and that you'll drop by often. Be sure and sign up to receive my newsletter and visit my website.

Until next time, Journey Onward!
Nona


No comments: