Friday, October 10, 2008

It Feels Good!

October 10, 2008

I'm so excited! Wednesday, October 8, I had an article/interview published in the Southwest Daily News Moss Bluff editon. My husband gave me the idea of interviewing Johnny Harper several months ago. I thought it was a good idea since Mr. Harper is such a unique man.

I called him and asked if he would be interested in being interviewed about his business. Sharpening tools of every kind using old-fashioned tools and doing the work his grandfather taught him.

Life kept getting in the way of the interview. I became ill and was hospitalized. It took months to regain my health. I finally got the interview and it turned out to be more than an interview but a story of a boy and his love for his grandfather. It is a love story.

Two months passed before the article could be published due to Hurricanes Gustav and Ike.

The day finally arrived. I was thrilled! I'm sure people coming out of Market Basket thought I was nuts holding several copies of the small paper to my chest. I was jumping up and down, or trying to at least as much as one with Fibormyalgia can jump. My name was a by-line on the front page!

A small bit of disappointment tinged my happiness. The photo I sent wasn't there. I learned the photos didn't arrive until the day after the publication deadline. I still haven't figured that one out since I sent the photos in plenty of time.

I think I have found a new niche. One I've never considered. I have another interview scheduled all ready. It's with a friend from my local writer's group, Rodney Hennigan, who has a great story to tell about raising seven sons in southwest Louisiana. The Southwest Daily News is interested in more stories as long as they are about people living in southwest Louisiana.

Friends have been sending me possible market sources for stories like the one about Mr. Harper and coming story about Mr. Hennigan. I have discovered I love human interest and memoir style stories.

I'm still excited about this new energy of mine to write. I'm meeting some deadlines. I'm working on more than one project at a time. I feel confident. Oh, no, a bit of fear is trying to sneak into my bubble of excitement. I just don't think I'll let it.

It feels good!

8 comments:

Judith Leger said...

You ought to be excited! This is a major accomplishment, Nona! Keep up the wonderful work!!!

Love ya!!

Winona Cross said...

Thanks, Judy. It always makes my day to hear from you. I have missed you so very much.

Nona

Jessica Ferguson said...

I can't wait to read your story, Nona. And I know you're going to have a great future in NF writing. Great post, and don't you dare let negativity and discouragement creep up on you. Call me when those doubts try to attack!

Winona Cross said...

Well, Jess, I'll have to get your cell phone number at our meeting this morning. I will call you.

Nona

Mindy Blanchard said...

So Exciting! Your writing is wonderful and it belongs on the FIRST PAGE! You're doing fine. Just take it one day at a time, and knock those little deadlines out.

I can't wait to read them!

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

Don't you dare let that fear creep in!

You are on your way and I'm proud to be called your friend. :-)
PamT

Krysti said...

Congratulations! You're in print. I hope you keep it up. Are you a member of ACFW?

Winona Cross said...

Krysti--Yes, I am a member of ACFW.