Monday, October 6, 2008

Learning to blog

October 6, 2008

I'm an impatient person . . . Yesterday morning I sat down to blog. Couldn't figure out how to even get into the site. Angry, very angry, I sent off e-mails to two friends who are supportive of my writing and blogging attempts. One called me within moments. Her name is Pam Thibodeaux, she spent almost an hour on the phone with me walking me through the basics step by step. I took notes. The kind with a pencil and paper. Old-fashioned in this day and time.

Well, I obviously made it onto the site this morning. I have such grand plans for my blog. I want to do interviews. learn how to put photos on it within the posts I make. Have you seen Jessica Ferguson's blog http://jessicaferguson.blogspot.com She recently interviewed Erica Spindler, a great mystery and suspense author. Jess placed photos of Erica's many book covers within the interview. How did she do that? I don't know yet, but I will.

I'm an intelligent person. I made it through nursing school, which is difficult by any standard. I raised two sons. I have a long and happy marriage. I do several things for my church that require organization and thinking. I can write a pretty good story. So, why does a computer and the many options it offers scare me and confuse me? I just hate it when people say, "it's so easy." Of course, that often becomes the case when I learn something new.

My writer's group met Saturday. It was a fantastic meeting. We had a large attendance. Three young writers read their winning stories to the group. My goodness! They have such talent, creativity and promise. I pray they maintain the confidence they have now at such young ages and fulfill their dreams and their capabilities. Their names are Lexis Johnson, Keaghan Kane, and Katie Price.

Lately, I've felt a difference in the way I think about my own writing. I'm taking it seriously. Really, for the first time. I actually have a couple of deadlines. That's the first time I've been able to say that. Erica Spindler, in her interview with Jessica, said she works from 9 to 5 each day. Work for her is writing. I don't have a job outside the home. So, what's my excuse? It has been apathy, lack of self-confidence, and procrastination. I wish I could define that different feeling. For now, I plan to take it as a gift, an answered prayer, and get some work done.

I wonder how many successful authors felt this way and suddenly found the heart to write.

With that thought I'll close this post and get to work. This is the day the Lord has made.

2 comments:

Judith Leger said...

Lack of confidence can certainly affect how you write and when you write. Don't allow your inner doubts to overwhelm you. Think of writing as a constantly changing learning experience. Sure, sometimes you may not get it right but that's okay. You're still learning and like in school, you'll make some passing grades and at other times your grades will stink. Same goes with writing. You have a lot of talent. Don't allow the doubt to stop that talent from growing!!!

Mindy Blanchard said...

Honey, don't depend on me for blog help. I can barely find my way back to my own.

We all need some time off from what we may be passionate about from time to time. Its no big.

Don't think about the time that you were not writing as something negative. Because at those times you were doing whatever it was you needed to be doing - whether you know what the purpose was for or not.

You are defined by so many great things: a wonderful wife, mother, grandmother, nurse, etc. but you can add another tag to that - you are a wonderful writer.

Whatever you did before, you did before. But the point, as a wise friend told me is: Keep writing. Just a sentence a day, if necessary. (you'll get there).